Sultanahmet Square accepted as the heart of the historical peninsula of Istanbul was previously a circus and a hippodrome and served as the sporting and social centre of the city. During Ottoman era the square was known as “Horse Square” or “At Meydanı” in Turkish.
Blue Mosque (Sultan Ahmet Mosque), Museum of Turkish and Islamic Arts (Former Palace of Ibrahim Pasha) surround the square today. Obelisk of Theodosius, Serpent Column and the German Fountain (placed in the square in 1901 as present of German Emperor Wilhelm II)) are found in Sultanahmet Square.
“Mega Palation” or the Great Palace, the main Imperial residence of Byzantine emperors used to neighbor the Square.
Sultanahmet Square is starting point of “Divan Yolu” (former Protocol Road called “Mese” during Byzantine era) and it is in immediate vicinity of Basilica Cistern and Hagia Sophia Mosque which are among the landmarks of the city.
The Square, which is the tourist hotspot of Istanbul has been a gathering place for İstanbulites throughout the history till today.